Full course description
Effective Business Writing
Friday, October 27, 2017
9:00 am - 3:30 pm
The Enterprise Center at Salem State University
Though businesses increasingly rely on technology, technological skills alone do not guarantee success in the workplace. You must still develop your ideas, express them clearly, and persuade others of their viability. This course offers effective strategies to sharpen your writing skills by structuring your ideas logically, exercising diplomacy in letters and reports, and shaping your arguments.
In contemporary business environments, information overload makes it necessary for you to communicate clearly and concisely. Trying to make sense of a disorganized email message can be frustrating given the number of emails you have to answer daily. By analyzing your audience, organizing your writing, and employing effective persuasive techniques, your writing will make an impact.
In this course, you will organize and write effective business documents.
- Identify techniques to write effective business communication.
- Write electronic communication that is clear, concise, and appropriate in a business context.
- Apply the writing principles you have studied to specific business situations and learn to address the needs of a particular audience.
- Use your writing and diplomatic skills to create formal business letters.
- Use basic persuasive strategies that will allow you to plan and deliver effective proposals.
- Writing Effective Business Communication
- Strong Sentences
- Organize Your Content
- Analyze Your Audience
- Writing Email and Other Electronic Communication
- Write an Email
- Write Instant Messages and Text Messages
- Writing Common Business Documents
- Write an Internal Announcement
- Write a Routine Request
- Write a Response to Routine Requests
- Write a Complaint
- Write a Positive Response to Customer Complaints
- Write Bad-News Messages
- Writing a Business Letter
- Write a Business Letter
- Write a Thank-You Letter
- Writing Business Proposals
- Persuade Your Audience
- Write an Executive Summary
- Use Visuals
NOTE: A parking permit will be emailed to all registered/paid participant shortly before the class date.
REFUND POLICY: 100% refund before the first class meeting. 50% before the second class meeting. No refunds after the second class meeting.
In the case of a Salem State Online class, 100% refund before the scheduled start date. No refunds once the Salem State Online class begins. For all other online classes (Gatlin, Ed2go, or MindEdge, no refunds of any kind will be issued). Please call Andrea DiVirgilio at 978-542-6302 for more information.