Full course description
Introduction to Supervision
January 31, 2020
8:30 am - 3 pm
The Enterprise Center at Salem State University
The workplace of the 21st century demands employees have an ever-widening skill set to manage today's multi-faceted and complex business environment. Strong leaders are needed to take initiative, think strategically, empower others and set and carry out a vision. The supervisor, in particular, plays a key role in the success of any organization. We will explore and define many of the competencies required of those who serve in the role of supervisor. This workshop is for both current and newly promoted supervisors but also helpful to those who are considering stepping up to a supervisory position. Aspiring supervisor will walk away with a better understanding of what the role entails while current supervisors will identify and practice core supervisory skills.
Course Objectives (in question format):
• What is leadership?
• What skills are required of today’s leader?
• How is leadership different from management?
• What are the core skills needed for a new supervisor?
• What can a supervisor do to build both competence and confident in her/his team?
• What can a supervisor do to increase the level of engagement of his/her team and the culture at large?
• Definitions of Leadership
• Leadership Competencies
• Leadership Character Traits
• Crucial Skills for Tomorrow's Leaders
• Competencies for First Level Managers
• Ways to Increase Engagement
• Ways to Enhance Your Capacity for Leadership
• Key Manager Questions for Objective Setting
• Giving and Receiving Formal and Informal Feedback
• What is Coaching and Mentoring?
• How Leaders Improve Themselves
NOTE: A parking permit will be emailed to all registered/paid participants shortly before the class date.
In-Person Class Refund Policy: 100% refund before the first class meeting; 50% before the second class meeting. No refunds after the second class meeting.
Online Class Refund Policy: In the case of a Salem State Online class, 100% refund before the scheduled start date. No refunds once the Salem State Online class begins. For all other online classes (Gatlin, Ed2go, or MindEdge) no refunds of any kind will be issued). Please call Andrea DiVirgilio at 978-542-6302 for more information